Friday, August 08, 2014

Gone Girl

Wow... wow. This is the best book I have read in a while. I love foreshadowing and being able to connect things/words/certain behaviors with something that happened earlier in the plot. Like when Amy is with Desi and only puts one olive in her martini. And the panties in the office, the cops asking if Amy was a size two. Ugh I just loved every part of the unreliable narration on both sides. I can't get over it.

Though I did not expect it to end the way it did. It was sort of abrupt, but sort of not? I wish there had been one more Nick chapter, mostly because Amy is a raging psycho bitch.
The "sections" of the book also appealed to me- it divided the book into a nice beginning, middle, and end (though the end was not perfect). I think I somehow would have preferred if Nick had found Amy and killed her (felt her pulse under his fingertips... okay maybe Nick was a tad crazy too) and then ran off to be a lumberjack in a sort of Dexter-esque ending.

I didn't understand the title until I got about 3/4 of the way through- "Gone Girl". It seemed to me like a little bit of a play on Amy's thoughts of reinventing herself and all of these different versions she had created over the years.

------------------------------

On a side note I think this book might have sparked some extra reading love in my brain. Perhaps I'll start on another from my Classics Club list.

No comments:

Post a Comment